Sunday, September 5, 2010

Guy in Mumbai

Southern view across Lake Powai from the 25th floor of Renaissance. The Renaissance is about a 15 minute ride away from the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport. We had an interesting ride in. I rode shotgun on the left side of the car something I had never done. Red light,no problem you just go through slowly flash your lights, honk your horn, and wait your turn to slip through. Numerous dogs were encountered along the way. They knew enough to avoid the car. We did see a donkey just hanging out all by itself in the middle of the road. Looked like Juan Valdez had gone in to grab a cup of joe. Mind you its 3am in the morning at this point. We did pass through security at the hotel entrance, which im all for. I assume the guy had a bomb sniffing dog, who when he opens your door says "siccum" ! Ha im sure thats just his prompt to smell but i was not wanting to be "sic'd". I changed $60 USD in Frankfurt for some rupees. I should have waited until Mumbai b/c they had to first change then into Euros so I only got 32 INR /USD. (instead of about 47) When she changed she only had 500 rupee notes. Ha! I might as well had a thousand dollar bill as far as tips are concerned. The typical tip for someone carrying your bags is something like 12-18 Rupees. Well my guy got a 100 note bc thats the smallest amount i could get from the hotel. All in all no big deal since that is rougly $2.12. I tried to stay awake until breakfast buffet at 630 but no dice. I awoke at 9 to housekeeping. They have a bell they ring. I had no idea where i was. I finally got some breakfast around 945 after chatting with my colleague. Now as I post this it is 942pm here and I am trying to stay up until 630am for breakfast then go to bed after that. Then wake up around 3pm to make it into the office around 500pm. (730amEST). I need to boil up some coffee so I'm off.

No comments:

Post a Comment